Friday 6 May 2016

Katy Perry on 'decades' of bad female body messaging


Katy Perry believes women have suffered "decades of bad messaging" about body shape and are only now being encouraged to think positively about their appearance.

The singer claims changes in society have led people to become more conscious of how individuals are represented in the media.

"There have been decades of bad messaging and we are rewiring now," Katy told Mashable.com. "Gone are the days where you are not socially aware.

"You can't unsee all that crazy stuff and not try to do something to change it."
Katy discusses her own "curvy" body, but is apprehensive about labelling others with what are widely considered positive body-related descriptions.

"I think owning the terms is on an individual basis. It's about what you want to call yourself. We don't see ourselves in the same way. I know for me, I'm curvy, I'm not sample size, but I represent a lot of people out there.

"I want to be relatable. That's really important to me, while not losing my mind in this weird human experiment I'm going through."
Katy did the interview wearing an outfit she admitted she was struggling to fit into. "This cup doesn't fit in and my boobs are down to here," she said.

She was speaking at the launch of a new cosmetics range, where she also hinted that new music was some way off, as fans wait for a follow-up to her multi-platinum 2013 release, Prism.

"I think when I come back and have more to say and want to tell certain stories, I want to be all out," she added. "I think it's time to take a break, there's a thing called being super overexposed.

"You want people to miss you."

No comments:

Post a Comment